Monday, August 12, 2013

Recipe Monday - Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Glaze

My birthday was this month and on your birthday in my family, you get to choose what kind of cake you would like.   Ever since I can remember I have always had the same thing - it is my favorite and has a secret surprise inside!!!   It is Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Glaze.   Oh, and to learn the surprise, keep reading!!



Ingredients Needed:
 Your favorite Angel Food Cake recipe (I use a box mix) and the ingredients to make it.

For Glaze:
1 1/2 squares unsweetened chocolate
2 tbsps. butter
3 tbsps. milk
1 cup confectioners sugar



First, bake your cake according to your favorite recipe.  I have made angel food cake from scratch before and it is a lot more work than a box mix (that to me tastes just as good).  So I take the quick and easy way out and use a box mix.  I always use a bundt pan to cook the cake in.  Make sure when cooling your angel food cake
to invert it in the pan on top of a bottle so it cools evenly.


While the cake is cooling, you can work on the secret surprise! My grandmother always put money, yes money, inside the cake for us!  And everyone got a coin in their slice.  It was the best part of having the cake.  And yes, I still have them do it for me!
First, take an assortment of coins and wrap them in plastic wrap.  We usually use quarters, dimes, and nickels. No one liked getting pennies.    


Then, take a knife and poke a hole in the cake and slide the coin in. 



Then keep sliding the coins into slits in the cake.  How many coins depends on the size slices you like.  We tend to put a lot in and some people get 2 or more coins - bonus! 
 ***If you make this recipe, please let people know before eating the cake that there is money in it and have them poke their slices with a fork or spoon to find the money before consuming their piece of cake!!!***

To make the glaze, melt the chocolate, butter and milk over low heat in a saucepan until melted. 


Add the confectioners sugar and stir until smooth and runny.



 Next pour over the cake.  It will be runny and drip down the edges.  You do want it to do that.


Then you let it cool.  Since I live in Florida where it is really humid I do put it in the fridge to set up.   
When ready, serve and have fun looking for money!!! 










No comments:

Post a Comment