Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Water Wednesday - Pool noodle Sight Words

Welcome to another Water Wednesday!  Today's idea I found "floating" around on pinterest and decided to give it a try. 

Supplies Needed:
 Pool Noodle
 Sharpie
 Sharp Knife


First, I took my pool noodle and cut it in pieces.  I made them about 1" thick.  The pool noodle cut very easily with a sharp knife.  I only used half the pool noodle and came up with 16 pieces. Then, take the sharpie and write sight words on each piece.  On some I wrote opposites that we are working on.  You could also write color words, numbers, letters of the alphabet, rhyming words, or any spelling words you might be working on learning. 


Then, since my little guy begged, on the opposite side of the pieces I wrote the names of Superheroes and Villains to make double use of the pieces. 



After allowing the sharpie to dry for a bit I placed the pieces in a bowl and brought them out to the pool.  We did this activity in the pool but you could easily do it in a water table, kiddie pool, or large bucket.  I went over all the words with my little guy before throwing the pieces in the pool.  Then, I threw the pieces in the pool.



Then, I sent my little guy after the pieces.  We did it two different ways.  One, I called out words and he had to go and search for the pieces and bring them back to me.  The other way he just swam to pieces and picked up the pieces and brought them back to me.  And then when he brought them back he had to read the word to me.



He had a great time going after the pieces and reading them.  And after he had done the "school" side as he called it, he got to find the Superheroes and the Villains. 


Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!  








1 comment: